Want to be a top flight barrister? Manchester Law School will give you the best preparation possible.
Highly successful, practising lawyers, and our very own district judges. As one of the best law schools in the UK, Manchester Law School’s BPTC boasts an excellent teaching team too.
120% more advocacy than BSB advise. Accredited mediator training programme. Great Pro Bono opportunities. The widest choice of specialist ‘options.’
Manchester Law School’s BPTC prepares you for the Bar from the outset.
BPTC part-time day release option.
Study for your BPTC part-time; gain all the advantages of attending Manchester Law School and working at the same time.
Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
1 year full-time / 2 years part-time
- Our Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is designed to equip you with the skills and expertise you will need for a successful career as a barrister
- Our BPTC will provide you with the rigorous academic training demanded by the Bar in a supportive and encouraging environment
- Led by highly experienced, practising barristers who enjoy privileged links with the Northern Circuit
About the BPTC programme
- State-of-the-art facilities based at the heart of the UK’s second largest legal hub
- Our BPTC focuses on developing highly practical skills and features an innovative ‘mini chambers’ approach designed to mirror practice
- You will be placed in a chamber group of 12 students and be provided with a permanent, multi-media equipped base room
- Tutors are always on hand to offer support with course and career opportunities
- There are frequent opportunities to network with a variety of practitioners from across the North west
- Students receive additional advocacy classes from members of the Northern Circuit
- Specialist postgraduate facilities and a dedicated careers adviser who will provide assistance with finding mini-pupillages and initiating links to the profession.
- Full-time students can expect to receive 10-12 hours direct classroom contact per week
- Part-time students will be required to attend one day per fortnight, and will cover the same core and elective subjects.
Study programme in details
- The course begins with a participative and dynamic induction programme
- Students have the opportunity to network with local practitioners during team building exercises and social events
- The remainder of the course features a combination of mandatory subjects with an option to study two electives depending on your career aspirations
- Core subjects include:
– Civil litigation evidence and remedies
– Evidence and Remedies
– Criminal Litigation Evidence and Sentencing
– Professional Ethics
– Opinion Writing
– Conference Skills
– Resolution of Disputes out of court
- You predominantly learn through the mini-chambers system and occasionally by traditional lecture.
- Teaching is complemented by online resources ranging from self-testing and podcasts, to advocacy demonstrations
Assessment and Feedback
- You will be assessed using a combination of multiple choice examinations, short answer questions, coursework, practical skills assessments and written examinations.
- This course is aimed at preparing you for pupillage and life as a barrister, but the skills learned are applicable to a wide range of professions. Our graduates have a strong history of finding pupillage, or pursuing other careers in the legal sector
BPTC – Summary of benefits
- Prepares you for a successful career as a barrister
- Unparalleled links to the Northern Circuit
- Choose study options to suit your lifestyle – full-time and part-time routes available
- Receive more than three times the advocacy teaching advised by the BSB, taught in groups of only six or less
- Obtain an additional independent qualification in mediation, at no extra cost
- Teaching by experienced professionals, with over 180 years call
- Excellent facilities with a mock courtroom, specialist rooms, spaces and equipment for dedicated BPTC use
MMU Alumni Loyalty Discount
- If you are a Manchester Metropolitan University graduate, you will be eligible for our alumni loyalty discount worth 20% off the tuition fees.
More information – contact us
Find out more! Just fill in your details below to be added to our mailing list.
“The impressive multi-million pound re-build of the Law School houses state of the art lecture theatres, base rooms and excellent IT facilities. Most importantly, the staff are dedicated, knowledgeable and approachable; many having formerly worked in legal practice. I was consistently able to ask for help from tutors, as their doors were always open.”
The facilities are fantastic; we are taught in small chambers groups of about eight students, which I feel is a real strength. We’re given a chambers room as well which means we’ve always got somewhere we can actually sit and study. In addition to that, we have access to the main library facilities as well as our own BPTC library.