89%* of Manchester Law School’s LPC students go into legal roles after graduating.
*Recent Destination Survey of Postgraduate Law Students
Placements. Pro Bono. Mentoring. Networking…
The LPC at Manchester Law School is packed with unmissable, career boosting opportunities.
At Manchester Law School you’ll get dedicated tutor support.
And all the help you need to excel.
Legal Practice Course (LPC)
One year full-time/ 18-24 months part-time
- Our Legal Practice Course (LPC) is a professional law course that enables you to qualify as a solicitor
- Focused on bringing law to life, the LPC is centred around real-life legal situations
- Perfect for helping you to develop the core practice skills you need as a solicitor: preparing legal documents, advising and interviewing clients
About the LPC programme
- Manchester Law School’s LPC combines traditional teaching methods with innovative techniques, all conducted in our leading £16m purpose-built Law School
- Offering high levels of face-to-face tuition, interactive workshops and e-learning via moodle to create a supporting learning environment
- The LPC teaching team is made up of dedicated, highly experienced lawyers, all of whom write and deliver the course
- Students have access to outstanding placement opportunities, an impressive mentoring scheme and voluntary legal schemes
- You will have access to a Careers and Employability adviser to help you take the necessary steps into a fulfilling legal career
- For full-time students the course operates a typical teaching week of 12 – 15 hours face-to-face tuition, exclusive of student preparation time
- Part-time students learn via a mix of lectures, face-to-face and online workshops and can expect to receive 6 – 7 teaching hours per week running alongside supplementary online and preparatory work.
Study programme in detail
- You will work through case studies devised to reflect realistic legal scenarios and will be encouraged to think and act like a legal professional from the outset
- You will learn core practice skills such as interviewing clients, writing letters of advice, preparing legal documents and court appearances
- Core units include:
– Business Law and Practice
– Property Law and Practice
– Civil and Criminal Litigation
– Professional Conduct and Regulation
– Solicitors Accounts
– Wills and Administration of Estates
– Writing and Drafting
– Practical Legal Research
– Interviewing and Advising
- The courses are delivered in our purpose-built Law School by a highly experienced academic team from a variety of legal professional backgrounds
- Your tuition will be delivered through a combination of methods including workshops and electronic learning
- You will receive the opportunity to hone your legal skills through involvement in one of our voluntary legal work schemes that offer pro Bono legal services to those in need
- Manchester Law School also offers an outstanding work placement programme to enable students to gain vital work experience during their electives.
Assessment and feedback
- Predominantly by open book examinations. There are separate oral and written assessments for the skills.
- Manchester Law School places emphasis on helping you establish your career. Many students begin the course without a training contract, but 90% of LPC students find legally related employment after graduating. The Law School features a dedicated Careers and Employability Advisor, alongside a well-developed practitioner mentor scheme and guest lecture programme.
LPC – Summary of benefits
- Prepares you for practice, equipping you with the essential skills required for a successful career as a solicitor
- Teaching by dedicated and experienced professional, many of whom still practice
- Practical advice and links with the legal profession through our outstanding mentor scheme.
- Opportunity to gain valuable work experience and boost your CV with pro bono work.
- Exclusive work placement opportunities, directly related to many elective options
- Innovative practice in e-learning with the course being taught through the medium of a virtual firm.
MMU Alumni Loyalty Discount
- If you are a Manchester Metropolitan University graduate, you will be eligible for our alumni loyalty discount worth 20% off the tuition fees.
More information – contact us
For more information about the course, fees and entry requirements visit our online prospectus, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more! Just fill in your details below to be added to our mailing list.
Jennifer Nash, LPC
“My experience at Manchester Metropolitan University has been really good. The staff are very supportive and have shown genuine concern whenever I have needed any help.”
Nadia McMahon-Wilson, LPC
“I chose Manchester Law School because of its reputation as I had heard good things about the university from friends, who all said it was a great university in which to undertake postgraduate study.”
Eve St Pierre
My lasting impressions of the University are very good and I received a lot of extra support. Between my undergraduate degree and my LPC I wasn’t working in the legal profession; I applied for over 50 jobs, but they all required at least six months’ experience, which I didn’t have.
I looked at other universities before choosing Manchester Metropolitan University, but the Law School was attractive because it is excellent value for money, the timetables suited me and the courses as a whole are pretty flexible in terms of study. The excellent links the Law School has with external Law firms was the deciding factor.